Apr 13, 2017

SoCal Surf Trip

Ellen and I went for 4 days to Southern Cali to get some surfing in!

I had a life changing epiphany while there...
----
----
----
Ready for it?

Neoprene wet suit booties!

I simply didn't realize I could swim in the California ocean AND feel my feet at the same time.  Seriously!  I realize now that California waves and I have a lifelong relationship ahead of us!

I had a wonderful time.  Can't wait to go back!


We stayed overnight in Prim and got to see this Bonny and Clide car/dummies thing. Notice the mysterious hand?

  IMG_0367

 Our camp site at San Mateo was gorgeous and full of flowers and bunnies. There's nothing like drifting to sleep to the sound of the ocean and 18 wheelers zooming down the freeway. ;)

IMG_0380
Campsite views
  
We surfed at San Onofre for 2 days. On day 1 the current was so strong it swept us south FAST! We couldn't even get outside the breaking waves. But day 2 was really great!

  IMG_0382

IMG_0391
We have the same curly blond hair, and the same profession.
 My Nicaragua amiga Sima came to surf with us!

IMG_0396
Here's to curly blondes!
   

I missed my girls...
  IMG_0436
IMG_0437  

And my bestie.
  IMG_0441 

We spent as much time as possible enjoying the beach.
  IMG_0446
IMG_0449  

The next morning we woke up at 4:30 AM and got in line for San Onofre! It was freezing. After we parked I napped for 2 hours in the car while Ellen bundled up and kept our spot secure. It would have been impossible to do this with 2 young kids.
  IMG_0451

That morning the tide was really low so we explored the exposed rocky sea floor.
  IMG_0461
IMG_0576  
Look what we found!!
  IMG_0468

IMG_0471

IMG_0473

IMG_0483

I surfed 3 times that day. At the end of the day I could hardly hold my head up to paddle out! We spent the evening along the pier.

  IMG_0488

  IMG_0501 
 The next day we drove south, checking out Swami's and other beaches.
  IMG_0506
We met up with another Nicaragua Amiga Clo, who lounged at Tourmaline with us.
IMG_0536
Clo has straight dark hair, but I love her anyway ;)
IMG_0532
Tourmaline
Then we did some kayaking/SUPing to the La Jolla caves! I stole this picture from Google since I didn't take my phone with me. 

download  

After the caves we SUP and kayak surfed, which made me laugh so hard! When I caught waves in the kayak I would lose control and fly sideways down the wave till it overtook me and knocked me into the water or rolled under me to my utter shock and delight. SUP surfing was harder than I thought- I fell off unless I stayed on my knees.

 Clo let us stay in her beautiful home that night. It was a 5 star stay for sure!

 The drive home was a bit rough with snow and rain. IMG_0556

 I LOVED this trip. Can't wait to go back!!!

0 comments: