Apr 6, 2010

Riverton Running


I ran the Riverton half marathon! It was the worst race I've ever run! I had disturbing dreams and slept restlessly the night before-- a bad way to start a race day. The temperature was 34 degrees with freeeeeezing gusts of wind, which made me shiver all morning. While shivering and walking toward the starting line, I threw my neck out! It was so bad I literally couldn't raise or turn my neck at all! I panicked and called Todd crying, "What do I do?!" I had about 40 minutes before the race so I sat and sulked in my car, slowly trying to stretch my neck waiting for a miracle to save the day. A few minutes before the race started I got out of my car and jogged in place to test the waters, which were very painful! One of the volunteers gave me some Advil, and when everyone started running I started running too! Very slowly at first, and by mile 4 my pain was minimal. It was a miracle!

I ran into Jeff Jackson, a friend-ish from high school who was also running the race. We ran together most of the time, laughing about old friends and the dumb things high school kids do. That really helped distract me and pass the time.

I completed the race in 2 hours 7 minutes, my worst time ever (but not far from my best :) celebrated, then went home to take a HOT bath and a nap. Glad I did it, glad it's over!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Way to go. I probably would've turned around and headed right back to my toasty bed. That's serious perseverance. Thank heavens for miracles!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Wow. TAlk about discipline! I am so amazed at you, Britt. Way to go!!!